Sunday, April 28, 2013

Meditations on the Rosary - Introduction



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In my previous blog I provided an primer on praying the Rosary. As mentioned, the recitation of the Rosary concludes with this prayer to God the Father:
“O God, whose Only Begotten Son by His Life, Death, and Resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal salvation; grant we beseech Thee that, by meditating upon these Mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise; through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.”

The beauty of this prayer is that it sums up what the Rosary is all about. Firstly, it is about Christ, the Only Begotten Son. Secondly, it is about who He is and what He has done to secure our redemption (i.e. He has purchased for us the rewards of eternal salvation). Thirdly, it is about meditating upon these things – not because they foster nice thoughts – but for the twofold purpose that we might:
a)      imitate what they contain; and

b)      obtain what they promise.
For Catholics, the month of May is especially dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. In light of this, I hope over the course of the next few weeks to dedicate my blogs to our Blessed Mother by posting some meditations on the Mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary.

Hopefully the posts over the coming weeks will serve as an encouragement to all of us to be more devoted to Our Lord through the Rosary of His Most Holy Mother. And on this note, it would be timely to remember the 15 Promises that the Blessed Virgin made to St. Dominic for all who would faithfully recite the Rosary:
 
1.   To all those who shall recite my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and very great graces. 

2.   Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some signal grace. 

3.   The Rosary will be a very powerful armour against Hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy. 

4.   The Rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant Divine mercies; it will substitute in hearts love of God for love of the world and elevate them to desire heavenly and eternal goods. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means!

5.   Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish. 

6.   Those who shall recite my Rosary piously, considering its mysteries, will not be overwhelmed by misfortune, nor die a bad death. 

7.   Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the consolations of the Church or without grace. 

8.   Those who shall recite my Rosary will find during their life and at their death, the light of God, the fullness of His grace and will share in the merits of the blessed. 

9.   I will deliver very promptly from purgatory the souls devoted to my Rosary. 

10. The true children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in Heaven. 

11. What you shall ask through my Rosary, you shall obtain. 

12. Those who propagate my Rosary will obtain through me aid in all their necessities. 

13. I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have for their intercessors in life and death the Saints of Heaven. 

14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ. 

15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.

No comments:

Post a Comment